- Ideally sown : North India Feb – Mar | Jun – Jul;
South India Nov – Jan | Jun - Jul
- Ideal Temperature : 20°C–30°C
- Germination Time : 3-5 days
- Time to harvest : +75 days
- Sow depth : 1-2 cms
- Soak seeds overnight before planting.
- Fill the big grow bag with the compost treated soil
- Sow a quarter of the seeds from the packet at a depth of 1-2 cm
- Put the grow bag in a place with around 6 hours of sunlight.
- Moisten the soil as required but make sure it is not logged with water.
- The seeds will germinate in 3-5 days
- Place the grow bag near sunlight when the plant begins to germinate
Step 2: Replantation
- When the 2-3 sets of leaves appears replant them in smaller grow bags, 1-2 per grow bag
- The soil from the big grow bag can be reused
- Add normal soil if required by adding one teaspoon of the manure provided
- When the plant starts developing vine tendrils replant them to the ground with support for the vines
Step 3: Pollination
- When the flowers open, rub a soft brush first in the male flower and then in the female flower.
- Spray the vines with sugar dissolved water to draw bees to the plant.
Bottle Gourd delights
Lauki Channa Dal: A popular North Indian dish with Bengal gram and diced bottle gourd.